Chicken noodle salad recipe
Family of four plus leftovers OR 6-8 kids
Egg free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 11/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g precooked chicken, diced
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and finely diced
- ½ cup leeks, washed and finely diced
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup celery, finely diced
- 250g packet dried Asian noodles
In a small bowl add the first 6 ingredients, stir then put to one side.
Pre cook noodles following the packet instructions and leave to cool.
Heat a wok or large frying pan on high heat. Add oil, swirl around pan then add carrots, leeks, peas and celery.
Leave to cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken pieces and fold through with vegetables. Add noodles and toss with vegetables and chicken. When combined, add sauce mixture and toss through noodles for 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve hot or spread noodle mixture on a large tray and cool in the fridge. Keep in an airtight container until needed.
- I use this recipe quite often when making chicken wings; I just leave out the poached chicken and serve it as a vegetarian dish with the wings.
- The chicken doesn’t have to be poached, it can be pre roasted. You can even use leftover beef or lamb.
- Because everything is precooked (except the veggies), this makes a great cold salad and perfect for a quick lunch box meal.
- You can find Chinese black vinegar in any Asian store.
- The easiest way to mince ginger is to use the finest side of a hand-held grater.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.