Cold pizza strips recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 1/c small carrot, peeled, roughly chopped
- ½ stick celery, chopped
- 400g tin whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (heaped) tomato paste
- Pinch salt
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 110g tin pineapple pieces, drained
- 4 slices salami, cut into quarters
- ½ green capsicum, sliced
- 4 calamata olives, cut in half and pip removed
- 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
To make the tomato sauce, place all sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend until thick and smooth, approx 3 minutes. You may have to scrape down the processor sides to combine well.
Once blended, pour the sauce into an airtight container and then spread 3-4 tablespoons of sauce onto prepared pizza base. Sprinkle with half the cheese.
Place bacon and pineapple on one and salami, capsicum and olives onto another.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Place pizzas in 200°C preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into 5cm slices.
- I love making pizza so I’ll start the dough once I have picked the boys up from school, however if you don’t have the time, use your favorite pre-made base.
- I made up the sauce recipe when my youngest refused to eat vegetables. It is a fast and healthy base sauce. I can then use the leftover sauce for another meal, perhaps a pasta dish during the week or a base for a meat sauce. Again, if you don’t have the time, you can just use tomato paste.
- The dough makes enough for two dinners, so once I have split the dough in half I wrap one half and freeze it until I need it.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.