Orange and polenta cake recipe
- 200g butter, melted
- ½ cup polenta
- 1 cup cake flour, plain
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of one orange
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar (extra)
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Combine all dry ingredients with orange zest and put aside.
In a mixer, whisk eggs until light and fluffy (approx 5 minutes).
Slowly pour in melted butter and continue whisking for 1-2 minutes.
Turn whisk to low and gradually pour in dry ingredients and zest.
When just combined add milk and orange juice and fold with spatula. Once combined, pour the mixture into a funnel springform cake tin that has been greased well.
Bake in oven for 45 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
While cooling add remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice and extra sugar in a small saucepan, sir on high heat and bring to the boil, boil for 2 minutes then remove and brush syrup over orange cake.
- This mixture is very wet which makes a lovely moist cake. If you don’t have a funnel cake tin you can use a regular one, you just need to drop the temp down to 170 and cook for an extra 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cooking on a lower temperature caramelizes the sugar and butter so you end up with a beautiful crust.
- Serve with cream or a good quality yogurt to compliment this delicious cake.
- This would make a beautiful dessert served with stewed plums .
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.