Chicken, corn and hot-pot recipe
Egg free, Lactose free, Nut free
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 kg chicken thighs and/or drumsticks with bone in
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 50g butter, quartered
- 500g green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cobs of corn, cut into 8
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to your taste
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Add flour, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper together and mix to combine.
Lightly spray a medium roasting tray with cooking spray. Roll pieces of chicken in flour mixture and place into the roasting tray.
Sprinkle sliced garlic over the chicken.
Cover with shredded cabbage, sprinkle with fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
Add butter pieces, corn and water.
Cover with foil and put in the oven for 1½ hours, checking after one hour.
Serve with cous cous.
- I have always thought cabbage is under-rated. I love it, especially when it’s cooked with butter and fennel.
- Because you are roasting the cabbage in the oven for a long while, it wilts down enormously and the chicken juices and butter flavour it beautifully.
- When I make this dish I buy a whole chicken as I find it is more cost effective, then I break it down into 12 pieces.
- Meat on the bone is best suited to long, slow cooking however if you only have chicken thigh fillets (without the bone), reduce the cooking time by 45minutes.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.