Bread and butter pudding recipe
- 5 croissants
- Raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 200mls milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200mls thickened cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
Preheat oven to 180°C and butter a 9x7 inch baking dish.
Cut croissants in half horizontally and spread with jam.
Layer half the croissants on the bottom of the dish jam side up then sprinkle with sultanas.
Continue to layer the remaining croissants.
Heat milk, cream and vanilla until very hot but NOT boiling.
Remove from heat and sit.
While the milk mixture is sitting, add eggs and sugar together in medium bowl and whisk until thick and well combined (approx 3 mins).
Gradually pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk. When well combined pour over croissants.
Press the croissants a little with your fingers to make sure they are absorbing the custard then stand for 5 minutes.
Place pudding dish into a large oven proof tray with sides and half-fill the tray with warm water - making a bath for the pudding.
Bake for 50 minutes.
Stand for 5-10 minutes then serve.
- Croissants are very buttery so there’s no need to add extra.
- The raspberry jam can be swapped for your favorite flavour and you can even add chocolate bits instead of sultanas if you prefer.
- I love eating this cold the next day for breakfast.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.