Stuffed roast quail recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 1 pkt x 6 boned quail
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 3 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Using a food processor, tear up the bread slices and process to make breadcrumbs.
Place breadcrumbs into a medium bowl and add the onion, lemon zest and juice, garlic, tomatoes, olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix through
Slowly add the water - you may not need all the 2 tablespoons as you just need enough water to bind the ingredients together.
Remove the quail from packet and lie on their backs with the cavity open. Stuff each bird with stuffing, fold over breast them wrap in prosciutto.
Secure the bird with a toothpick and repeat with remaining birds.
Spray baking tray with cooking spray, place quail on and pop in the oven for 25 minutes or until the quail is crisp and juicy.
Remove from the oven and serve.
- Quail are not hard not buy, though they are usually sold frozen. I bought mine from a gourmet deli but I have also bought them from my local butcher.
- This recipe is one my mum taught me.
- Kids love the size of the quail and the sweet meat.
- To keep this dish simple, I serve it with roasted cherry tomatoes and smashed potatoes.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.