Chicken dumpling soup recipe
Egg free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 350g chicken mince
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 4-5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or 1 teaspoon salt)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 pkt wonton skins (approx 60 per packet and will freeze)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
In a food processor, mix the chives, mushrooms, cabbage and ginger.
Add the chicken mince and fish sauce and process to combine 3-4 seconds. Move the mixture into bowl.
Lie six wonton skins out on a clean surface and put 1 heaped teaspoon size ball of mixture in the middle of each. Using your fingers, wet around the edges of the wonton skin.
Gently pull all edges up to the top, squeeze and twist.
Repeat process until all of the mixture is used.
In a saucepan add stock, water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then add dumplings (about 4 per child).
Simmer for 5 minutes then remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl, add the soup or serve them with rice.
- If you don’t have a food processor then just chop all the vegetables finely and mix together.
- This recipe will make about 30 dumplings so I usually freeze the excess and pull them out when needed. You can place frozen dumplings in boiling soup- just give them about 10 minutes on simmer to cook through.
- I use Savoy cabbage because it wilts down to nothing and kids don’t usually detect the texture/flavour as something yucky.
- If we are eating these as a family, I’ll add extra veggies to the broth like bok choy, carrot sticks and tofu – it’s a delicious meal we all enjoy as long as I have a side of chilli sauce!
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.