Beef and pumpkin curry recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 750g beef, cut into strips (I used rump steak)
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (I used Mae Poly brand)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 650g peeled pumpkin, medium dice
- 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar, grated (depending on your preferred sweetness)
- ½ cup thickened coconut milk
Heat a wok on medium-high heat.
Add oil, swirl to cover bottom of the wok and then add curry paste and shallots - stir for 3-4 minutes to combine and to prevent sticking.
Turn up the heat to high and add beef strips – toss continuously until beef is very well coated in the paste and starting to brown (approx 7-8 minutes).
Add coconut milk, lime leaves, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 30 minutes add pumpkin, stir then cover with a lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In the last 10 minutes before serving, add thickened coconut milk and just before serving, add the palm sugar to taste – it’s best to begin slowly and to taste the curry to adjust the amount of palm sugar you need.
Remove and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This would have to be one of my favorite curries. I usually add dried chillies with the lime leaves as well but only if the kids won’t be eating it.
- This curry has a good kick to it, so if you’re a fan of mellower flavours, I suggest you use a milder curry paste like a yellow curry.
Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.