Bananas foster recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 shakes cinnamon, ground
- 3 bananas, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Vanilla ice cream
In a large frying pan, heat butter over medium-high heat until it bubbles.
Add sugar and cinnamon then stir with the butter until it combines, begins to bubble and the sugar starts to dissolve.
Add bananas and cook for 1-2 minutes, bananas will start to go soft. Add rum and swirl around pan coating bananas with sauce.
Light the pan with a match to burn off the remaining alcohol. Once the flame is out, remove from heat.
Cut bananas in half, serve three halves on each plate, spoon over remaining sauce then top with ice cream.
- Another New Orleans classic recipe, there is usually banana liquor as well but I didn’t have any lying about the house (does anyone?!) and this tasted really great without it!
- The recipe should only take about 5 minutes to whip up so it’s a good one to know if you have loads of bananas around the house or extra hungry mouths to feed.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.