Italian chicken casserole recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 3 chicken breasts (about 600-700 grams), diced about 2cm in size
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 x 400gram can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1½ cup frozen sliced green beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup ricotta
- ¼ cup basil, finely chopped
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter a casserole or lasagne dish (20 x 30cm) with the teaspoon of butter and set aside.
Over a medium heat, sauté onions, and garlic for one minute in the olive oil, then add chicken to the same pan. Brown the chicken on all sides and cook halfway through,
Add a large pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken mixture to a large mixing bowl and then mix in tomatoes, rice, beans, broth, ricotta and basil.
Pour into the casserole dish and sprinkle with mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- I prefer to use Australian garlic as the flavour is much better and I like to support Australian-grown products.
- I use low-fat ricotta as I find it very creamy (it’s the only time I like a low-fat dairy product) and I prefer to go to the nearest deli to buy ricotta fresh.
- For these types of dishes I buy pre-grated mozzarella to save time and it looks just as nice once melted.
- I like to use Campbell’s Real Stock, salt-reduced chicken broth when I don’t have time to make stock.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.