King Ranch Chicken casserole recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 3 cups bbq chicken meat, shredded
- ground pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno chilli, sliced lengthwise in half and seeds removed
- 1 long red chilli, sliced lengthwise in half and seeds removed
- 1 tin Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- coriander, to serve
- sour cream, to serve
- 1 teaspoon butter
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a lasagne dish, (approx. 20cm x 30cm x 5cm deep) with butter and set aside.
Bring a heavy based frying pan to a medium heat and lay the chillies directly on the pan skin-side down until the skins blister and then flip over. Cook another few minutes until slightly blackened.
Remove chillies, chop up and add to a saucepan with tinned tomatoes, mushroom soup and stock. Warm this mixture and set aside.
Layer the chicken meat in the prepared dish, followed by a scattering of the onion, then a few whole tortillas, tomato mixture, and a handful of cheese.
Continue the layers until you run out of chicken. Finish with a layer of tortillas, tomato mixture and then cheese.
Place dish on a baking sheet and put it into the oven for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve with fresh coriander and sour cream.
- This a very Texan dish, and it only just hit me that it’s a direct copy of lasagne but with a tex-mex touch - enjoy!
- I prefer to make my own cream of mushroom soup using regular button mushrooms but that’s another recipe, coming soon!
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder