BBQ chicken and broccoli cheesey pasta bake recipe
- 3 cups BBQ chicken meat, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups tasty cheese, plus ½ cup more for topping, both grated
- 350 g macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 23cm springform pan and set aside.
Bring a heavy-based saucepan to medium heat and add butter. Once butter is melted, add flour and whisk with a fork until smooth.
Lower heat slightly and slowly whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Allow to cook stirring constantly until its thickened, about ten minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups of grated cheese then set aside.
In a large pot or bowl, mix together the pasta, chicken, onions, broccoli, cheesy sauce and pour into the prepared pan, patting down with a spoon. Sprinkle with last ½ cup of grated cheese.
In a small saucepan melt the extra teaspoon of butter and stir in breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the bake and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until the topping is lovely and golden.
Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before removing the ring carefully. Let cool another ten minutes and then, using a spatula, slide the bake off the pan base onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Springform pans are available at Woolworths for around ten dollars. If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a normal lasagne dish or casserole dish - just be sure to butter it well before you fill it with ingredients.
- I love using a Japanese-style breadcrumbs as a topping for a bake like this or macaroni and cheese as they are so crunchy and beautiful. You can find these in the Asian section at the larger grocery stores. If you can’t find them, it is totally acceptable, of course, to make your own fresh chunky breadcrumbs or use whatever you have on hand!
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.