Peanut brittle recipe
6 - 8
Egg free, Gluten free
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 ½ cup raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
Butter a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
In a heat-proof glass bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
Stir in peanuts and microwave for another 4 minutes.
Add butter, vanilla, and stir. Microwave the mixture on high for another 2 minutes.
Remove and add bicarbonate soda, stir until thoroughly combined.
Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and allow it to cool completely.
Break up and serve or store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Corn syrup is available in most big supermarkets – look in the baking, health food and/or toppings sections. If you can’t find it, you could substitute glucose syrup in this recipe.
- Don’t be tempted to use dry-roasted peanuts in this recipe – the brittle is far better with raw peanuts.
- Have fun break up the Peanut Brittle using a little meat mallet or hammer.
- This is one of my favorites! It’s a nice easy treat and easy to wrap up in cellophane bags and pretty ribbons to give as delicious gifts.
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder