Apple and cinnamon turnovers recipe
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter, for baking sheet
Preheat oven to 180°C and thaw pastry sheets on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes.
Toss sliced apples with lemon juice, cinnamon, flour, and sugars and set aside. Slice each sheet of pastry into quarters. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the apple mixture into the centre of each square, leaving a 2cm border around the edges.
Fold the square over into a triangle, and press the edges firmly together using the end of a butter knife in a decorative pattern.
Butter baking sheet and brush turnovers with egg wash. Place a few slashes in the top of the turnover to release steam while baking.
Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.
- You can add a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger if you like to the apples.
- Apple turnovers have a lot of wow factor but are incredibly easy to make – they are the perfect dessert to make with little kids. After all, what child doesn’t love apple?!
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.