Quick chocolate cupcakes recipe
- 100g butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
Chocolate buttercream frosting
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Line cupcake tins with cases.
Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy and fluffy. Gradually add eggs and mix until just combined.
Combine flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda. Add to creamed mixture with milk. Beat until just combined.
Spoon mixture into liners until each case is one third full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
To make the chocolate butter cream
Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and cocoa and combine well. Beat in milk until mixture is fluffy.
- I like to undercook these slightly as I like mine slightly chewier, so reduce cooking time to 13 minutes if you prefer.
- For kids, the very best bit of making cupcakes (aside from the eating, of course!) is the icing and decorating of the cakes. For best results, make sure that both the icing and the cupcakes are completely cold before you begin decorating – or you’ll find the icing will slide off in a muddy puddle!
- I discovered these fondant buttons in a cake decorating shop and couldn’t resist using them on these cupcakes, but you can decorate them with anything that takes your fancy.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes