Five spice lamb and brocollini stirfry recipe
- 500g lamb backstraps, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tspn Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch brocollini, florets cuts and stalks trimmed and cut into 5cm pieces
- 3 spring onions, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 5cm ginger, grated
- 2 tbspn vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbspn soy sauce
Combine the plain flour and Chinese five spice powder together in a plastic bag and then add the sliced lamb. Hold the bag tightly and shake vigorously to coat the lamb in the flour mixture.
Put wok on stove, add half the vegetable oil and heat until smoking.
Add the lamb to the wok and cook, turning the meat quickly, for about four minutes or until the meat is brown. Remove wok from the heat and place lamb in a bowl. Set aside.
Return work to the heat and add the remainder of the oil. Heat until smoking and then add all the chopped vegetables and the garlic and ginger. Turn all ingredients rapidly as they cook for approximately three minutes.
Add the meat back into the wok and then add the water, hoisin sauce and soy sauce.Ensure all the wok's ingredients are thoroughly covered in the sauce and continue to cook for another couple of minutes until the lamb is cooked.
Serve immediately with rice.
- The key to successfully making stirfries is to be prepared - have all ingredients chopped and ready to go, all condiments measured out and all cooking utensials at your fingertips. Because the acutal cooking is so fast, you don't want things to go soggy because you are hunting for your soy sauce in the back of the pantry.
- It is really important to stirfry on a high heat - this avoids the possibility of stewing the meat.
- I've used brocollini in this recipe because my kids love it and it's in season. But you could use any firm vegetable that's acceptable to your family... carrots, beans, snow peas, green pepper, zucchini.
Related fast dinners recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and tomatoes
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- Penne with ricotta, spinach and cherry tomatoes
This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.