Gingernut biscuits recipe
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 2 tbspn ground ginger
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1 tspn bicarbonate soda
- 3 cups plain flour, sifted
Preheat over to 180°C. Prepare two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add golden syrup and stir to combine.
Sift all dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture and combine.
Roll a teaspoon of mixture into a ball and place on the baking tray. Press down lightly with a fork.
Bake in the oven for 20 mins.
Cool on a wired rack and then store in an airtight container.
- These biscuits don’t quite have the jaw-breaking snap of the store-bought gingernuts but are still have a delicious snap.
- Because these biscuits are already very brown going into the oven, you can’t judge their done-ness by their colour.
- I like to use the Dark brown sugar (as opposed to Brown sugar) because the darker sugar has a stronger, more caramel flavour.
- This recipe makes about 60 biscuits so one batch will pretty much get you through a week of school lunches – fantastic!
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.