Greek easter biscuits recipe
- 1kg flour
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 350g sugar
- 350g butter, room temperature
- 60ml orange juice
- 30g baking powder
- 1 orange rind, grated
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water and a few drops of vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until very creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time and continue beating for 4 minutes. Add the orange rind, orange juice and mix until well combined.
In a separate bowl, sift the flour and the baking powder together. Add the butter mixture and gently combine. This will create a very soft dough.
Take small balls of dough (approx. 1 tbsp) and roll into long 'snakes' then shape into biscuits. Place on a baking tray and brush with eggwash before placing them in the oven for 30 minutes or golden brown.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough as this will make the mixture greasy and denser than it should be.
- This recipe makes an ENORMOUS number of biscuits - but they keep really well in an airtight container and you'll be surprised how many your family can put away!
- I followed the traditional biscuit shpaes (see photo) but you really could shape the dough any way you want. There is also a knotted shape but, try as I might, I couldn't make it without the dough falling apart. You may have more luck though...
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.