Lemon curd recipe
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 100ml lemon juice
- 175g castor sugar
- 3 eggs
Combine butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir well until sugar is dissolved.
Take the saucepan off the heat and add the eggs, stirring constantly to mix well.
Return to a low heat and continue to stir until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Don’t allow this mixture to boil as you thicken it, as it will curdle.
- If you plan on storing this curd, prepare sterilised jars before you begin cooking.
- This is my father’s favourite spread on toast – this recipe may make two cups of lemon curd but we are lucky if there is much leftover after a day or two or dedicated toast-making!
- This recipe also makes a terrific gift. During lemon season, I often make a double batch and then give the surplus away to friends, complete with a homemade tag.
- Thanks to Stephanie Alexander for this classic recipe. You can’t beat the best!
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.