Maresy’s amazing banana cake recipe
- 60g butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- ¼ tsp bi-carb soda
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
Cream the butter and sugar by mixing the two together with a wooden spoon in a bowl. When the mixture changes colour from yellow to pale lemon, add the egg and mix well.
Add the mashed bananas to the bowl with the creamed butter and sugar. Sift the flour and add it to the mixture too. Dissolve the bi-carb soda in 2 tblsp of hot water and add the liquid to the bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for approximately half an hour at 180°C (or 25 minutes in a fan forced oven at 160°C).
When cool, sprinkle with coconut.
- You can double this mixture to make 2 cakes if you like – they freeze well.
- You can also ice this cake after it's cooled if you (or your kids!) fancy a sweeter cake.
- This is a great one for sneaking in bananas if your kids refuse to eat them in their natural state.
- I love this recipe because it's so quick and easy to make and is the perfect morning or afternoon tea treat to share with friends.
This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.