Simple fettucine carbonara recipe
- 375 g fresh fettucine (egg pasta ribbons)
- 500g bacon shortcuts, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook fettucine as per instructions.
Fry bacon strips for 3 mins and add garlic and shallots.
Combine cream, egg yolks and parmesan cheese. Drop heat to low and add egg mixture to the pan.
Lift cooked pasta from the water and drop straight into the pan without draining. Keep stirring as you do this. If the sauce is looking too thick add pasta water a little at a time to thin.
Grind lots of black pepper onto the pasta and serve with extra parmesan cheese.
- This is a very fast meal and packed full of flavour.
- The fresher the pasta the faster the meal.
- I like to add freshly blanched asparagus or button mushrooms if I have them.
- You can also add a half cup of dry white wine after the bacon is cooked to add depth of flavour.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.