Balti paste from scratch recipe
- 5 tblsp coriander seeds
- 3 tblsp powdered cumin
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried chilli or 2 fresh chilli (or if you must 1 tsp chilli powder)
- 2 tspn mustard seed
- 2 tspn fennel seed
- 3 tspn cardamom seed
- 1 tspn fenugreek seed
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tblsp curry powder
- 2 tblsp ground turmeric
- 1 tblsp ginger powder
Place all ingredients into a frypan over high heat, stir and toast for approximately 1 minute. You will smell the aroma of the spices toasting, it’s yummy!
Transfer to your mortar and pestle and pound to release all fragrances - approximately three minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon white vinegar
Pound for a further 3-5 minutes until it forms a paste.
Transfer to a clean jar with an airtight lid.
- You may not have all these spices in your cupboard, but they may be used in many other forms of cooking and spice combinations.
- This paste will last in the refrigerator for up to one year.
- This paste can be used as a base for baby balti pies and lamb samosas
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.