Express french onion scalloped potatoes recipe
- 1.5 kg desiree or pontiac potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1.5cm thickness
- 50g butter
- 3 tblsp plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 2 tblsp French onion soup mix
- 1½ cups grated tasty cheese
- 3 pieces shortcut bacon, diced
- ½ leek, diced (approximately 1/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 200 C°.
Steam potatoes either in the microwave until cooked, but not mushy. (i.e. you should just be able to pierce with a fork - microwave approx 10 minutes, steam approx 15 minutes). Set aside.
Grease a small baking dish or loaf pan.
Place a medium sized saucepan on the stove and melt butter over a moderate heat setting. Add flour and mix in the butter, stir constantly as it will thicken to an almost dough (roux) immediately and keep milk on standby.
Add milk gradually and allow to thicken before adding more milk.
Continue to add milk, stir and thicken, until all milk is added.
Stir the french onion soup mix into the thickened sauce mix, take off the heat and stir through 1/2 of your grated cheese. Set aside.
Layer half the potatoes on the bottom of baking dish, then add leek, another 1/4 of the cheese, and half the bacon with half the sauce.
Layer the remaining potatoes, sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese on top and then the remaining bacon.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- You can make this up to 2 days ahead, bake initially covered with aluminium foil. Refrigerate or freeze and then reheat after removing foil.
- Don't waste! Leftovers can be consumed cold as a yummy potato salad.
- This recipe is freezer friendly – and can be frozen for up to 1 month
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.