Bubble and squeak recipe
- 500g new potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 200g savoy cabbage, shredded
- 20g butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Handful of cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Fill a saucepan with cold water. Bring to the boil and add the potatoes. Cook until soft. Take off the heat and drain.
Add the butter to the potatoes and mash until smooth.
Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add the cabbage and cook until tender. Drain.
Mix the potato and cabbage together, add cheese and season lightly.
Heat oil in a frying pan and add ‘rissoles’ of the potato mix. Flatten with the back of a spatula. Cook until brown. Turn and continue to cook until the second side is browned.
- This is traditionally a leftovers dish – you can just throw all the remaining cooked vegetables from a roast together. The one thing you will definitely need though is potatoes – either mashed or roasted enough that they can be squashed down.
- This Bubble and squeak recipe is one you can make from scratch rather than leftovers. I think it’s absolutely delicious with the inclusion of cabbage – and let’s face it, there just aren’t enough yummy cabbage recipes around!
- Cook the cabbage until it is cooked through – you really don’t want crunchy greens in this recipe.
- If you want to make this a little more fancy, add a tablespoon of mustard to the mixture before pan frying.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.