Jam donuts recipe
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 14g dry yeast (2 satchets)
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups plain flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup of castor sugar for dusting
- 1 jar raspberry jam for filling
Warm the milk to to tepid. Set aside half a cup and add yeast.
In a bowl, whisk the remainder of the milk with the sugar, eggs and butter.
Whisk in the yeast mixture and gradually mix in the flour and salt.
Place the batter in a warm place to prove for 1 hr.
Heat vegetable oil to 170°C. Place a quantity of the batter in a freezer quality ziploc bag and snip corner off. Squeeze balls out of the bag into the oil snipping off with scissors when they are about a 2cm ball. Flip over to make sure they brown evenly (2-3mins).
Remove the donuts from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
Roll warm donuts in caster sugar. Poke a hole in them with a sharp knife and pipe in some raspberry jam.
- These are so simple to make and they will make you popular with the adults and kids alike.
- This made a huge quantity of donuts. I got around 30.
- Remember that you need to follow the recipe closely to get a perfect result.
- You could use any type of berry jam to fill these and even serve with a double cream to cut the sweetness.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.