Easy tortillas recipe
- 4 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
In a bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder and vegetable oil. Slowly stir in the milk until a loose sticky ball is formed and then knead on a floured surface for 2 minutes. If it is a little dry add a touch more milk.
Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
After resting using a sharp knife cut dough into 16 portions and roll into balls. Place on a tray so they're not touching and recover with plastic wrap.Leave them to rest for a further 10 minutes.
After the second rest, roll the dough out a ball at a time to make a 20 cm round circle. Keep rolled tortillas covered so they don't dry out.
Cook in a hot dry skillet for 30 seconds per side. Keep warm in a tea towel until ready to eat.
- I was surprised that I could make 16 tortillas for around $2 of pantry staples. To buy 16 would have set me back around $9 in the supermarket.
- These go all puffy and golden in the time that it takes you to roll another ball of dough out. So you can roll and flip like a little production line.
- A few times my grill pan got too hot for this recipe and they started to burn before they cooked. I just cooled it down with water and gave it a rinse under the tap and started again.
- The resting times for the dough are integral to the recipe. They give the dough it's soft pliability to enable you to roll it out. Don't forget to keep the dough covered at resting times to keep it moist.
- We had these with fajitas and salad with lashings of salsa. I caught my son having one the next day with vegemite too.
- This Easy tortilla recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.