Pear clafouti recipe
- 3 firm pears, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter a pie dish and set aside.
Prepare the pears and then arrange the slices in the buttered pie dish so that they fan out to create a circle. Fill in the centre with the smaller pieces of pear.
In a food processer, or with a stick blender, combine all the remaining ingredients until a thin batter has been created.
Gently pour the batter over the pear slices.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and leave for five minutes before serving with a dollop of cream and a little icing sugar over the top.
- The traditional clafouti recipe uses cherries instead of pears but with cherries out of season at the moment, I went for an alternative fruit. I guess you could use any fruit that wouldn’t completely collapse with cooking.
- This dessert is fantastically simple to make and looks really impressive.
- Serve this hot for maximum impact – I think it loses a little something (a little of its vanilla egginess perhaps?) when it cools.
- This Pear clafouti recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.