Choc-mint candy cane cupcakes recipe
12 large cupcakes
- 50g butter, softened
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cocoa, or powdered cooking chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups pure icing sugar
- ½ tsp peppermint essence
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lay out cupcake papers. If you are using conventional cupcake papers, place in cupcake tins/muffin tins.
In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat well.
Cream butter and sugar in mixer. Add eggs one by one and then vanilla essence - mix well.
Sift flour and cocoa in separate bowl.
Add half of the flour and half of the milk to the butter/sugar mixture, mix thoroughly. Add the other half.
Mix until well combined and is light and fluffy/mousse like.
Fill 3/4 of the way up the cupcake paper.
Bake for 15-20 mins, test with skewer.
To make the icing, beat one egg white until you have soft peaks.
Add 1½ cups pure icing sugar and 1/2 tsp peppermint essence and mix until smooth and glossy.
Spoon onto the cupcakes and stab with your candy cane!
- Don't add the candy canes until you are ready to eat the cupcakes. If you add them and then refrigerate them or leave for a while as the candy canes will go ikky with moisture.
- I take a regular chocolate cupcake, top it with minty royal icing and put a candy cane in it! It's a little luxurious, refreshing, and hey - it's chocolate!
- These look really great and festive on a platter en masse very Christmassy.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.