Honey-orange dairy free layer cake recipe
- 2½ cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Rind and juice of 3 oranges
Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Grease a large baking pan liberally.
Zest oranges – retain the zest of 1 orange for icing.
Juice the 3 oranges and mix the remaining zest with the juice.
Mix eggs, honey, sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and cinnamon into another bowl.
Using an electric mixer, mix in the flour and orange juice/zest alternately until all combined.
Pour into greased pan.
Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, checking after the 30 minute mark - use skewer test to affirm when cooked.
Turn out on wire rack and cool completely.
- I iced this cake with egg white (royal) icing with orange zest. It would be yummy though on its own as a teacake or with a honey glaze.
- The taste of this cake is mellow and warm due to the inclusion of delicious honey.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related orange cake recipes