Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomatoes recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and then add the onion. Stir until onion becomes translucent.
Add garlic and continue cooking for another three minutes.
Add tomato paste and stir through and continue cooking for another two minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, sundried tomato pesto and beef stock. Stir through and bring up to the boil then take off the heat.
Place the lamb and rosemary leaves into the slow cooker and pour tomato sauce over the top.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 170°C.
Place the lamb and rosemary leaves into a casserole dish and pour the tomato sauce over the top. Place a lid securely on the dish and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Related slow cooker recipes:
- If you can't find sundried tomato pesto, substitute sundried (or semi-sundried) tomatoes instead. Four or five pieces of sundried tomatoes finely diced will do the job nicely.
- This is a fairly basic model of slow cooker lamb and you could add vegetables or a cup of pasta to the mix to make it a one-dish wonder! I have thrown in carrots, celery and black olives in the past.
- If your lamb looks fatty, skim some of the fat off the top of the dish before serving.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.