Curried chickpeas recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp coriander, ground
- 2 tins chickpeas (850g in total), drained and rinsed
- 2 tins diced tomatoes (880g in total)
- 1 tsp garam masala
In a pan, heat the oil and add onions and garlic, stirring over a medium heat until soft.
Add coriander, cumin, salt, tumeric and paprika and cook for a minute to release aromatics.
Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in garam masala and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- This is the most more-ish vegetarian dish I have ever had. I made it thinking my husband will love this and kept finding myself sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge.
- If you are feeding this to the little ones you can reduce the chilli to 1/2 tsp of chilli or just omit it altogether.
- Serve the curried chickpeas with a nice big dollop of natural yoghurt when it's spicy. The contrast of the heat and soothing cool is fantastic.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand''s best recipe finder.