Lemon butter/ lemon passionfruit butter recipe
Makes 6 cups
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water (substitute this for passionfruit pulp if making lemon/passionfruit butter)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 125g butter, chopped into cubes
Mix eggs and sugar together in a glass bowl and then place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (double boiler style).
When the sugar is dissolved, add pulp/water, zest and stir until combined.
Add a quarter of the butter and stir until melted. Once melted, add another quarter, stir until melted. Continue until all the butter has been added and combined.
Simmer for a further 15 minutes, or until the butter sticks to back of a spoon.
Take off the saucepan, and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
Pour into sterilised jars. Seal and then refrigerate.
- This curd is delicious served on toast or used as a filling for cakes.
- My Nan shared with me her Lemon Butter Recipe. My Nan used to make lemon butter when I was young, and it was never in the family fridge for long. We'd devour it. It's great to have this recipe and now make it for my family!
- Nan’s recipe doesn’t have the passionfruit option but a good friend makes a killer passionfruit lemon butter so I have been inspired to combine the two.
- Bacon and corn fritters
- Bubble and squeak
- Breakfast bars
- Banana pancakes with caramel sauce
- Baguette with chocolate hazelnut spread
- Strawberry and banana smoothie
- Baked beans with ham
- Tutti fruity muesli
- Green eggs and ham
- Hash browns
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.