Minestrone soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 zucchini, diced
- 20 green beans, sliced into 1 cm pieces
- 2L chicken stock
- 2L water
- 1/4 cabbage, sliced
- 1 x tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked macaroni pasta
- 1 tin x 400g 3 bean mix , drained and rinsed
Heat olive oil in soup pot and add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Fry gently for 4 minutes.
Add zucchini, green beans, tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in beans, pasta and cabbage. Add more boiling water to the pot if it needs more liquid. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
- This makes a LOT of soup due to the sheer amount of different vegetables to add to the pot!!
- The sequence I add the vegetable in this soup is important so they don't lose their structure and go too soft.
- I love to serve this with a good grating of parmesan cheese and some sourdough bread.
- You can adjust this to your liking so easily. Add and extra tin of tomatoes or maybe some Italian seasoning to boost the flavour. Make sure you taste it before you season.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.