Chicken and pea risotto recipe
- 2L boiling water
- 8 tsp chicken stock powder
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100g butter
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Bring water to the boil and add chicken stock powder.
Slice breasts in half so they are 1cm or less in thickness. Poach in chicken stock for 5 mins and set aside.
Pour frozen peas in stock and return to the boil cooking for 2 mins and remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Move stock to a low heat and a back burner on the stove.
In a pan heat butter and olive oil and pour in rice and stir to ensure all grains are well coated.
Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 mins.
Pour in white wine and keep stirring.
Ladle spoons of simmering stock into the pan and stir continually. Add another ladle of stock as the previous is absorbed by the rice.
While doing this, dice poached chicken and set aside.
When you add the last ladle of stock return chicken to the pan and stir in parmesan cheese.
Add peas into the rice carefully so as not to mash them in.
Serve with more grated parmesan cheese on top.
- This is the traditional style of making risotto and is quite rewarding when you get a lovely creamy finish.
- Remember that the rice can still have a little firmness to it's centre and the consistency at the end is fine if it's a little soupy.
- Restaurant risotto has a good amount of butter stirred through it immediately before serving to give it a glossy presentation.
- This Chicken and pea risotto was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.