Savoury scones recipe
- 240g self raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 small stock cubes of your choice
- 30g butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, approximately
- Flour, extra to roll and dust
Turn oven to 160'C. Lightly grease an oven tray.
Sift together flour and salt in a large bowl.
Crumble stock cube into mixture and stir through well.
Rub butter into the flour mix, by rubbing between fingertips until it becomes a breadcrumb-like consistency.
Stir in milk slowly until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. This may take less or more milk depending upon the brand of flour you use.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead and roll out to a 3cm thickness.
Cut out scones with a small glass or round cutter and place on baking tray with about 1/2 cm between each scone. Brush with milk if desired.
Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown on top.
Serve warm with butter and/or cheese
- If you are using powdered stock, 2 teaspoons is ample.
- This is family-friendly recipe so get your kids to help you.
- Keep the scones in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze them in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 1 month.
Related scones articles:
This is Moira Gillard's recipe - adapted by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.