Banana fritters recipe
These banana fritters are gorgeous with a drizzle of maple syrup and a scoop of ice-cream. They are a great dessert for when you are on a budget and you can whip them up from pantry ingredients. Try and stop at one!
- 6 bananas
- 1 cup plain flour (for batter)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup plain flour (for dusting)
- Maple syrup for serving
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and whisk in water until batter is lump free.
Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Halve bananas and dust in plain flour.
Using a fork, dip them in batter to coat and use a 2nd fork to drop them into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. (2-3 minutes)
Drain on paper towel and dust with a little icing sugar.
Serve with maple syrup and ice-cream.
- This is such a simple recipe and turns out delicious. It's also super- cheap, so when things are tight banana fritters will make you feel like royalty!
- Don't forget to let the batter stand. It gives the baking powder time to do its thing.
- Be careful when they come out of the fryer. The centres are very, very hot.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.