Chicken and pumpkin casserole recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, trimmed and diced into large chunks
- 3 tbsp of plain flour
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of tarragon, dried
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 carrots, baton cut
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 3 cups (500g) of pumpkin peeled and diced
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Toss the chicken with flour in a ziplock bag. In a frypan, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken.
Add the crushed garlic and cook for a minute. Add the taragon and apple cider vingear, using it to deglaze the pan.
Add the carrots, celery, pumpkin and stock. Bring to the boil and pour into a casserole dish.
Bake for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Deglazing the pan is a fancy term for lifting all the burnt bits off the bottom of the pan. These are packed full of flavour and contribute to the end product.
- If you have an enamel-coated cast- iron oven, (dutch oven) you will be able to make this all in one pot.
- This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Just get it up to the oven stage and place it in the slow cooker on high for 2 hours. This is a great way to make it if you have to go out and are don't want to leave the oven on.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.