Caramel coconut slice recipe
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 385g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 cups shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a rectangular slice pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, coconut, sugar and 100g melted butter. Press the mixture evenly across the slice pan.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the base is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, combine the condensed milk, golden syrup, brown sugar and 60g melted butter to make a caramel in a small bowl.
Combine the eggs, sugar and both types of coconut together in a small bowl.
Once the base has cooled, pour the caramel onto the base and spread it evenly.
Add the coconut topping over the caramel and spread out evenly.
Bake for 20-25 mins, or until the coconut topping is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.
- This is a lovely slice that has a tasty combination of crunchy coconut and smooth caramel.
- The recipe for the caramel in this recipe is delicious! I think it would make a yum dessert poured on ice-cream.
- If you don’t have both desiccated and shredded coconut, you could just use one or the other.
- This recipe is inspired by a wonderful and trusted Women’s Weekly recipe.
- Chocolate peppermint slice
- Too easy lemon slice
- Chocolate caramel slice
- Cherry ripe slice
- Anzac slice
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.