Simple beef and vegetable casserole recipe
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1kg chuck steak ,cubed
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 4 carrots,cut into chunks
- 4 ribs celery. sliced
- 1 brown onions, sliced
- 12 cloves garlic whole
- 1 large parsnip, cut into chunks
- 1 swede, diced
- 2 tins diced tomatoes (400g)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp powdered beef stock.
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Toss cubed steak in seasoned flour to coat. Heat oil in a pan and brown in a few batches until golden. Set aside.
Add all vegetables to the pan except for tomatoes and fry until lightly browned. Add tomatoes stock and water and de-glaze the pan.
Add meat back into the mix with thyme and oregano.
Place in a slow cooker for 3 hrs on high or 7 -8 hrs on low. Or alternately place in a pre-heated conventional oven for 1 hr 40 mins at 180°C.
- This is great served with mashed potatoes and blanched green beans sauted in garlic and olive oil.
- You can add any herbs you like to adjust the flavours of the casserole.
- De-glazing the pan involves getting all the little burnt flavourful bits off the bottom of the pan so they can add to your casserole's flavours.
- Don't be scared by the whole garlic cloves. They take on a very mellow flavour when cooked for long periods.
- This Simple beef and vegetable casserole was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.