Beer batter fish recipe
- Firm fish fillets
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 375ml of beer
- plain flour for coating
- vegetable oil for frying
In a bowl, add the self-raising flour and beaten egg. Add beer slowly and whisk in.
Place into fridge for 1/2 an hour to rest.
Cut pieces of fish to serving sizes. Roll in flour and shake off excess.
Take batter from fridge and give a light whisk to ensure it's all incorporated. Using a fork, dip the fish pieces into the batter and let the excess batter drain off.
Lay the fish gently into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
Drain on kitchen towel and serve with wedges of lemon and tartare sauce.
- This recipe goes great with homestyle chunky chips.
- You can use this recipe and wrap it in baking paper to have pretend takeaway with the kids.
- Choose your fish pieces carefully for this recipe. They need to be thin enough so they will cook through inside before the batter becomes burnt.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.