Beer can chicken recipe
- 1 1 1/2 -2kg free-range chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- All-purpose seasoning
- 1 can beer
Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towel.
Rub oil over chicken and cover with all-purpose seasoning.
Open beer can and pour off half of the beer. Insert the can into the birds cavity, and sit the chicken up on a baking tray.
Roast in the oven for 60-90 minutes. The general rule for roasting time is 20 minutes per 500g plus and extra 20 minutes roasting time.
- It's really a good idea to use a nice large free-range bird for this recipe.
- This makes a beautifully moist roast. It's a very simple recipe. I have seen some other recipes using up to 10 different herbs and spices but I prefer to let the simple chicken flavours shine through.
- This is a great recipe for the hooded barbeque.
- Some specialty barbeque shops have a rack that supports the chicken and the beer can and stops it from falling over.You can make a homemade one by squashing tin foil into a support ring to go around the can. The bird usually only falls over if you overcook it.
Find related recipes for the man of the house.
- Homestyle chips
- Big breakfast
- Slow cooker corned beef
- Chicken schnitzel
- Banana bread pie
- Caramelised onions
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.