White sauce recipe
- 60g butter
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and white pepper
In a small saucepan, slowly melt the butter taking care that it does not brown.
Sprinkle the flour over the butter and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 mins on a low heat. Take care not to let it brown.
Add all of the milk to the pan and whisk vigourously to incorporate the roux mix with the milk. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 mins.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This sauce is the traditional basic sauce that tastes great with corned beef and is especially good on cauliflower.
- You can make a batch and refrigerate it. Just be sure to lay some cling film over the top when it's warm so it doesn't form a thick skin.
- If you end up with a lumpy sauce just strain it through a sieve.
- Mushrooms sauce - Add 1 cup of cooked mushrooms.
- Parsley sauce- Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley.
- Cheese sauce - Add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related recipes for the man of the house.
- Beer batter fish
- Homestyle chips
- Big breakfast
- Slow cooker corned beef
- Chicken schnitzel
- Banana bread pie
- Caramelised onions