Bangers and mash recipe
- 2kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 good quality beef sausages
- 70g butter
- 4 red onions
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2-3 cups of water
In a saucepan, place the potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, add salt and simmer until tender.
Drain and leave for a few minutes. Add butter and mash with a potato masher. Gradually add milk until you have a nice creamy consistency.
While the potatoes are simmering you can start to cook the sausages.
In a frying pan, place the sausages and cook on all sides until brown and cooked through. Set aside in a warm place.
In the same frying pan, heat the butter and gently fry the onions until they collapse and are golden brown.
Add the balsamic vinegar and stock cubes.
Stir in 2-3 cups of water. Bring to the boil and simmer to reduce until you have a nice gravy consistency.
Pile the mashed potatoes on the plate with the sausages on top and pour over the onion gravy.
- This is a classic and everybody has their own way of making it. I love it with the caramelised onions!
- I find that this is a really good recipe if you need to feed a lot of people as well. It seems to be really easy on the budget.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.