Creamy potato and onion bake recipe
- Olive Oil Spray
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 kg potato, peeled, thinly sliced
- 375ml skim milk
- 4 tbsp light cream
- 1 whole dried bay leaf
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 1½ litre capacity oven proof dish with oil and set aside.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 10 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelised. Add thyme and nutmeg and cook for a further minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile arrange a third of potatoes in base of prepared dish. Spoon over half the onions and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper in between each layer.
Combine milk, cream and bay leaf in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Bring to boil, then remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to allow bay leaf to infuse in milk. Remove bay leaf and pour mixture over potatoes.
Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 80 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with extra thyme leaves and serve.
- We used a bay leaf and some ground nutmeg to add an extra depth of flavour to our potato bake.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in fridge for 2-3 days and can be re-heated in a moderate oven or in a microwave. It is also suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.
- This article was created by Weight Watchers.