Lemon-iced weetbix slice recipe
- 150g butter
- 1 ½ cups crushed Weet-bix
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 lemon, juiced
Preheat the oven to 180°C
Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the Weet-bix, flour, sugar, raisins and coconut.
Melt butter and pour into the mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice.
Combine all ingredients until they just come together.
Tip the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and press down firmly until the mixture is evenly spread and pushed into the corners.
Bake for 15 mins or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, combine the icing sugar mixture and just enough of the lemon juice to create a thick, slightly runny icing. If it is too stiff, add a little more lemon juice or a dash of cold water to thin it slightly.
Pour over the warm slice and allow to set as the slice cools.
Cut into squares.
- I added the raisins to this recipe to give it an extra dimension – and I think they work really well! Feel free to leave them out, though, if you’re not a big fan of raisins. Or swap them for another types of chopped dried fruit like apricots of apple.
- The trick with the icing is to get it runny enough that it will spread itself across the slice without needing too much help – otherwise you’ll end up with an icing full of crumbs! I just pour the icing along the centre line of the slice and then slightly tip each end of the baking sheet so that the icing runs in every direction to cover the slice.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.