Lazy day chilli con carne recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ clove garlic, finely diced
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 1 x taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 420g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 420g tin diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
In a large frypan (preferably with high sides), fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
Add the mince and brown, ensuring you keep stirring and separating the meat.
Once browned, stir in the seasoning and add the cup of water, Mix well and keep stirring over medium heat. Once well combined, add the kidney beans and ½ the tin of tomatoes and tomato paste.
Simmer for 15 minutes, and add the rest of the tomatoes. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Serve.
- This is a fantastically flexible recipe and you can use it as the base for a wide variety of other meals, such as:
- Nachos - on a bed of corn chips with grated cheese, diced tomato and lettuce, sour cream/guacamole
- On rice - good on a cold night. If not serving the kids, add a little more fresh chilli or powder.
- Tacos or Fajitas
- Tasty tacos
- New mexican chilli con carne in a baked potato
- Mince fajitas
- Mexican chicken sandwich
- Guacomole dip
- Pork and chickpea tortilla
- Spicy beef and rice tortillas
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.