Lemon and date cake recipe
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 120g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 150°C.
Put dates and water in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Boil, partially covered, for 3 minutes or until dates are soft.
Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine - it will froth up a little - set aside.
Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a food processor
Add lemon rind, lemon juice and eggs, and process to combine. Add date mixture, plain flour, self raising flour, coconut, milk and vanilla essence. Process until well combined.
Spoon into greased and papered pan and use the back of a spoon to smooth surface.
Bake in oven for 60-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
Set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature or with my icing!
- This recipe is warm and rich and surprisingly not too heavy.
- I made an egg white and lemon zest icing - 1 egg white beaten to stiff peaks mixed with 2/3 cup sifted icing sugar and zest of one lemon. Yum!
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.