Mum’s pikelets recipe
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¾ self raising flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
Using a stick blender, combine all the ingredients with enough milk to make it runny but still thick.
Heat a non-stick pan with butter and then spoon in a tablespoon of mixture to make one pikelet. Continue until the pan is filled.
When the uncooked side of the pikelet begins to bubble, flip each pikelet over to cook for another minute or so until browned on both side.
Remove and serve hot.
- This mixture makes about 15 pikelets - I freeze 6 in zip lock bag so I can zap them in the microwave for 60 seconds @40% heat to make breaky in under 3 minutes another day!
- My kids call these Mummy’s pancakes but they’re pikelets really – whatever they are, they are always a hit.
- I find that if I am making this in batches, I have to let the pan cool before spooning in the next batch of pikelets – otherwise the butter burns quickly and the pikelets taste burnt too.
- Apple and raspberry bread
- Banana smoothie with Milo
- Berry scone wedges
- Cheese and bacon rolls
- Butter biscuits with currants
- Cheesy potato cakes
Related snack recipes:
This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.