Halloween pumpkin cupcakes recipe
Perfect for Halloween, these pumpkin-flavoured cupcakes taste great and look fantastic, too! Topped with lolly snakes (or whatever other spooky lollies you want), the kids are sure to gobble these up!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125mL) milk
- ½ cup (125mL) oil
- 150g pumpkin puree
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 12 snakes to decorate
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Place large cupcake papers in a 12-hole muffin tray. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and sugar. In a glass jug, measure the milk (to ½ cup) and oil (up to 1 cup) and add eggs. Whisk to combine and stir in the pumpkin puree. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
Fill cupcake papers ¾ full (an icecream scoop is perfect for this). Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
For the icing, mix icing sugar with enough water to make a spreadable paste. Spread cold cupcakes with about a tablespoon of icing and top with a slithering snake.
- To make the pumpkin puree, steam some pumpkin until tender, puree with a stab mixer or in a blender. Weigh out 150g (about ½ cup) for the cupcakes. Any leftover can be used for baby mush or to thicken soups or casseroles.
- If you can find some Halloween-type lollies that won’t scare your kids—ghosts, skeletons, little pumpkins or spiders, use these instead of the snakes.
Related cupcake recipes
- Banana cupcakes with Honey Cream Recipe
- Crunchy munchy honey cakes recipe
- Frog in the pond cupcakes
- Gluten free choc chip cupcakes recipe
- Cupcake tower birthday cake recipe
- Monogrammed cupcakes
- White chocolate cupcakes
- Easter chick cupcakes
- Basic cupcake recipe
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.