Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 whole fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1.2 kg pork fillet, cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 cup tinned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup tinned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tinned tomato puree
- 800 g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 chicken stock cubes, dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp powdered artificial sweetener
Combine the onion, garlic, carrots, chilli powder, oregano, fresh chilli, pork, beans, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and sweetener in a 5-litre capacity slow cooker.
Stir and season well with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook at HIGH setting for 6-8 hours. (Note: Start the chilli at a HIGH setting so the ingredients quickly reach a safe temperature. You can reduce the heat to LOW after 3 to 4 hours if you prefer.)
- Because you are cooking pork, it is important to start with a HIGH setting so the meat quickly reaches a safe temperature. You can reduce it to a LOW setting after 3-4 hours if you want to and finish the cooking on the lower temperature.
- As with most casseroles, this one is even better the next day after the flavours have had a chance to develop.
- It will store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and is suitable to freeze in an airtight container for 3 months.
- Pinto beans are used extensively in American and Mexican recipes and are usually available in the health food shops. Or you can substitute them with red kidney beans or borlotti beans.
Find more slow cooker recipes:
- Lamb and tomato hot pot
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomatoes
- Slow cooker beef with red wine shallot gravy
- Slow cooked chicken and chorizo
- Slow cooker chicken soup
- Slow cooker stuffed lamb shoulder
- Chicken and pumpkin slow cooker casserole
This recipe was created by Weight Watchers.